Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Best desktop search tools (reviews - NetworkWorld, July 2010)

 

I’ve been flat out and haven’t had a chance to write in this blog for ages and ages.

I thought that I’d mention that NetworkWorld has recently published some desktop search reviews:

Best desktop search tools

I’ve tested many (at least a dozen) desktop search programs for Windows over the last five or more years, including X1 and Copernic search, and I could really tell some stories about them!

But at the moment only have dtSearch Desktop installed on my 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate. Currently, I’m actively using only Windows 7 search (when I migrated from Windows XP as soon as Windows 7 was released in August last year, I discarded some of the other desktop search programs).

While Windows 7 search has many good features, one thing that I really dislike about it the ability to readily enter advanced searches (with Boolean search arguments, etc), as  you can using dtSearch like this:

image

All that Windows 7 gives you is this:

image

or this inscrutable nonsense at the top right of Windows Explorer:

image

What Windows 7 desktop search badly needs is an approachable query interface, say like Google’s “Advanced Search” form:

image

But one distinct advantage for Windows 7 is that it’s built in, and the indexer works unobtrusively and continuously in the background. I find its performance impact to be unnoticeable, and due to the continuous “on the fly” indexing you can query documents added just a few seconds ago.

More about this, and the some distinct advantages of dtSearch, some other time when I have a moment or two to put down my findings.

1 comment:

  1. The thing is that Windows 7 is capable of advanced searches and that is cool, but what about when you're in a hurry!? Have you seen FileSearchEX ... it works for like 99% of the searches I normally do. Maybe they could make an advanced screen for persons like yourself.

    ReplyDelete